The Estonian Academy of Sciences, in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, announces a competition for two research professorships focusing on Arctic studies. Working groups that received a targeted grant for research professorship in Arctic studies in 2022 may apply for a follow-up grant in 2023. The deadline for applications for a targeted grant of researcher professorship is 12 June 2023.
The aim of the targeted grant is to support the participation of Estonian researchers in Arctic studies, as well as to increase Estonian researchers’ knowledge of the Arctic and capability to take part in significant high-level international research. International cooperation of Estonian researchers in the Arctic, especially participation in research of high applied value will contribute to addressing the major challenges the Arctic is facing. The presence of Estonian researchers and their good reputation will support Estonia in achieving strategic foreign policy objectives in the Arctic.
Any person who holds a doctoral degree from Estonia or an equivalent foreign academic degree and who meets the qualification requirements for a theme-based academy professor (the requirements are available in Estonian here) may apply for a targeted grant of research professorship. The candidate is expected to be engaged in continued research at international level and to successfully complete research grants. Potential members of the research team supporting the researcher-professor may be doctoral candidates, junior researchers, researchers or senior researchers, and in duly justified cases also master students.
The grant of the research professorship in Arctic studies is 60 000 euros, which will also cover the costs related to setting up an Arctic research team.
The grant is awarded for one year. Preference will be given to researcher-professor candidates who already have good cooperative relations with international Arctic research institutions and research teams and who plan to prepare a joint project proposal for the continuation of the research under the targeted grant. A tripartite grant agreement will be concluded between the selected candidate, the Estonian university or research institution hosting the professorship and the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
Persons who wish to participate in the competition have to fill in an application form (in Estonian) at the latest by 12 June 2023 at https://ta-konkursid.ee
In addition to your contact details, the following information has to be entered on the form:
- Plan of activities 2023–2023 (in Estonian, up to 5 pages), including the general theoretical background of the planned research, the research hypothesis and its relation to the developments in the research field, the main goals of the research and the significance of the expected outcome from the Estonian and global viewpoint, timetable, action plan, division of work.
- List of the research team leader’s most important (up to 10) scientific publications and/or developments related to the planned research (add doi-numbers, if available).
- List of the candidate’s most important (up to 10) scientific publications or research projects related to the planned theme.
- In the case of a follow-up application, please add also a free-form report for the 1st year.
- Approval from an Estonian university/research institution.
- Materials on the research team: curriculum vitae of the research professorship leader (up to 2 pages), short curricula vitae of the other members of the research team (up to 2 pages in total).
- If preferred, any other documents or materials that the candidate considers relevant.