Facts of history


Chronology 1938–2010

1938
28 January – State Protector enacted and proclaimed as a decree the “Estonian Academy of Sciences Act”.
13 April – State Protector approved the first 12 Members of the Estonian Academy of Sciences, of them 6 in the Section of the Humanities (Edgar Kant, Oskar Loorits, Julius Mark, Hendrik Sepp, Gustav Suits, Jüri Uluots) and 6 in the Section of Natural Sciences (Hugo Kaho, Paul Kogermann, Aleksander Paldrok, Ludvig Puusepp, Karl Schlossmann, Ernst Öpik). Karl Schlossmann was nominated President of the Estonian Academy of Sciences by State Protector.
20 April –  Council Hall of the University of Tartu was the venue for the first Plenary Session of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. Based on ballot results Julius Mark was elected Assistant President of the Academy, Edgar Kant and Paul Kogerman were elected Heads of Sections.
22 October – Estonian Academy of Sciences was inaugurated in the Hall of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Tallinn.
19 December – Plenary Session decided to register the Naturalists’ Society and the Estonian Learned Society as attached to the Academy.

1939
22 February – Plenary Session elected President of the Republic Konstantin Päts Honorary Member of the Academy.
27 February – Plenary Session decided to consider the Naturalists’ Society registered with the Estonian Academy of Sciences as of 10 February 1939.
20 March – Plenary Session decided to consider the Academic History Society registered with the Estonian Academy of Sciences as of 10 March 1939.
8 May – Plenary Session decided to establish the Society of Estonian Regional Studies as attached to the Academy and to register its Statute.
15 May – Plenary Session elected Teodor Lippmaa Member of the Estonian Academy of Sciences (in the Section of Natural Sciences). President of the Republic approved election of Teodor Lippmaa as Member of Academy on 9 June.
27 October – Plenary Session approved the title “Estonian Academy of Sciences Yearbook” (Annales Academiae Scientiarum Estonicae) for the regular principal publication of the Academy. The first Yearbook was published in 1940.

1940
26 April –  Plenary Session elected General Johan Laidoner, Commander-in-Chief of the Estonian Armed Forces Honorary Member of the Academy.
17 May –  Plenary Session passed a decision, based on a motion of the Section of the Humanities, to establish the Institute of Estonian Dialect Study within the framework of the Academy.
17 July – President of the Republic issued a decree “Estonian Academy of Sciences Liquidation Act”, whereby the Estonian Academy of Sciences Act was proclaimed null and void as of 20 July 1940 and activities of the Academy were terminated.

1945
28 June – By Regulation of the Council of People’s Commissars of the ESSR and the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the ESSR, it was decided to reinstate the Estonian Academy of Sciences, transforming it into the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic. A six-member organising committee headed by Hans Kruus was established to present proposals for launching activities of the intended Academy.
13 September – Chairman of organising committee Hans Kruus submitted to Chairman of Council of People’s Commissars an overview about the matters relating to Academy of Sciences in Estonia, the draft structure and statute of the Academy of Sciences of the ESSR and the list of individuals, who might be reckoned with when forming the composition of learned councils of the Academy’s institutes and when looking for candidates to the office of members and corresponding members of the Academy.

1946
23 January – Council of People’s Commissars of the Estonian SSR issued an ordinance for organising the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR, situated in Tallinn.
5 April – Council of Ministers of the Estonian SSR approved the Statute of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR, structure, full members and corresponding members.
    Academy’s structure was to consist of Central Library and four scientific divisions, embracing altogether 15 research institutes, 2 research sectors, 5 museums and 3 scientific societies as follows: Division of Physical-Mathematical and Engineering Sciences (Institute of Geology, Institute of Chemistry; Institute of Mathematics, Physics and Mechanics; Institute of Building and Architecture; Institute of Industrial Problems, Geological Museum); Division of Biological and Agricultural Sciences (Institute of Biology, Institute of Agriculture, Institute of Cattle Breeding and Veterinary, Institute of Forestry, Institute of Zoology, Naturalists’ Society); Division of Medical Sciences (Institute of Experimental Medicine, Institute of Health and Occupational Diseases, Institute of Clinical Medicine); Division of Social Sciences (Institute of History, Institute of Language and Literature, Institute of Economics, Sector of Law, Sector of Pedagogy, Museum of the Estonian People, State Literary Museum, Museum of History, Estonian Learned Society, Academic Mother Tongue Society).
    14 scientists were approved as full members of the Academy: Johann Eichfeld, Aksel Kipper, Paul Kogerman, Alfred Koort, Hans Kruus, Ferdinand Laja, Artur Luha, Ottomar Maddison, Jüri Nuut, Alma Tomingas, Nikolai Tomson, Johann Vaabel, Voldemar Vadi and Johannes-Voldemar Veski.
    10 scientists were approved as corresponding members of the Academy: Juulius Aamisepp, Albrecht Altma, Harald Arman, Harald Habermann, Leo Jürgenson, Karl Orviku, Mihkel Pill, Oskar Sepre, Friedebert Tuglas and August Vaga.
6 April – Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR held the first session of the General Assembly, electing the Presidium of the Academy. Elected President of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR was Hans Kruus, Vice-Presidents Johann Vaabel and Aksel Kipper and Academician-Secretary (the present Secretary General) Jüri Nuut. Elected Chairmen of Divisions (Academician-Secretaries) were Ottomar Maddison (Division of Physical-Mathematical and Engineering Sciences), Johann Eichfeld (Division of Biological and Agricultural Sciences) and Voldemar Vadi (Division of Medical Sciences).
31 May – Detached from the University of Tartu and assigned to composition of the Academy of Sciences were Naturalists’ Society, Academic Mother Tongue Society and Estonian Learned Society.
1 July – Relieved from subordination to Committee of Cultural and Educational Institutions and assigned to composition of the Academy of Sciences were Museum of the Estonian People, State Literary Museum and the State Museum of History.
1 September – Relieved from subordination to Council of People’s Commissars and assigned to subordination of the Academy of Sciences was the Central Scientific Research Institute of Industry (successor of Natural Resources Institute founded in 1937). On 29 December, the Institute was renamed Institute of Industrial Problems.
15 November – For the purposes of establishing the Institute of Agriculture, the Ministry of Farming transferred to the Academy the Kuusiku Agricultural Research Institute, the Tooma Bog Research Institute and the Polli Horticulture and Apiculture Scientific Research Institute. To create the Cattle Breeding and Veterinary Institute, Ministry of Cattle Breeding assigned to subordination of the Academy the Ülenurme Soviet Farm, the Cattle Breeding and Dairy Scientific Research Institute, the Piistaoja Experimental Station (in Saaremaa) and the Tori Horse Breeding Farm.

1947
1 January – Starting work in the composition of the Academy were: in the Division of Physical-Mathematical and Engineering Sciences – Institute of Geology; Institute of Chemistry; Institute of Physics, Mathematics and Mechanics; Institute of Building and Architecture; in the Division of Biology and Agricultural Sciences – Institute of Biology; Institute of Agriculture; Institute of Cattle Breeding and Veterinary.
4 January – Research Institutes of the Division of Social Sciences started work: Institute of History, Institute of Economics and Institute of Language and Literature. On 1 March, when the Statute of the Division took effect, the Institute of Economics was renamed Institute of Economics and Law.
21 January – Presidium of the Academy decided to set up within the framework of Division of Medical Sciences the scientific institution consolidating the research topic originally contemplated for three different institutes – Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine. General Assembly of the Academy approved formation of the Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine on 29 April.
1 February –Academy of Sciences Central Library started work.
3 September – Presidium of the Academy nominated senior editors of the series of the journal “Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR”, laying the basis to publication of that journal. On 4 November 1947 Presidium approved the rules and regulations of the “Proceedings”, on 23 March 1949 – the editorial board. The first issue of the journal appeared in 1952.

1948
14 January – Office of Supplies of the Academy of Sciences was set up.
1 July – Collections of Geological Museum of the State University of Tartu were transferred to the Academy’s balance sheet. Institute of Geology accepted the collections by a deed of transfer and acceptance. Institute of Zoology of the State University of Tartu was transferred to the Academy’s balance sheet. The Museum was incorporated into Institute of Biology.

1949
1 October – Institute of Land Reclamation and Bog Culture of the Academy of Sciences was founded as an independent scientific institution on the basis of Tooma Branch of the Institute of Agriculture.

1950
25 March – Presidium stood down, on the basis of a respective decision of Council of Ministers, Hans Kruus from the office of President of the Academy of Sciences effective as of 16 March 1950.
28 June – Presidium decided to liquidate the Estonian Learned Society, having belonged to the composition of Division of Social Sciences.
18 July – General Assembly approved the decision of Presidium about dismissing Hans Kruus from the office of President of the Academy of Sciences.
13 September – General Assembly elected full member of the Academy Johan Eichfeld President of the Academy of Sciences. Institute of Economics and Law was renamed to Institute of Economics. Sector of Law having belonged to the composition of that Institute became an independently operating unit under the name Law Sector at Division of Social Sciences.
13 October – Council of Ministers ruled that the number of full members of Academy should be 21 and the number of corresponding members 14.
15 November – Presidium decided to relieve Jüri Nuut from the office of Academician-Secretary of the Academy.

1951
27 April – Council of Ministers amended partially its ordinance of 5 April 1946 regarding the approval of the personal composition of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR, considering as invalid the approval of Hans Kruus full member of the Academy.
17 June – General Assembly held the first post-war elections of Members of Academy. Elected as full members of the Academy of Sciences were Nikolai Buzulukov, Arnold Humal, Aleksandr Kiur-Muratov, Feodor Klement, Gustav Naan, Joosep Saat and Andrei Tšernõšov. Elected as Corresponding Members of Academy were Richard Antons, Aleksandr Dobrjanski, Johannes Heil and Hilda Moosberg.
    By decision of General Assembly, Johann Vaabel and Aksel Kipper were relieved from the office of Vice-President. Elected as new Vice-Presidents were Gustav Naan and Nikolai Tomson. Elected as the new Academician-Secretary was Nikolai Buzulukov. Elected Academician-Secretary of Division of Physical-Mathematical and Engineering Sciences was Johannes Heil.
    Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine was transferred from the composition of Division of Medical Sciences to the composition of Division of Biology and Agricultural Sciences. The latter was renamed Division of Biology, Agricultural and Medical Sciences. Division of Medical Sciences was liquidated.

1952
6 March – Law Sector at Division of Social Sciences was transferred to the composition of Institute of History.
12 September – by decision of Bureau of the Council of Ministers, the names of scientific institutions and societies of the Academy were changed: Institute of Industrial Problems having belonged to Division of Physical-Mathematical and Engineering Sciences was renamed to Institute of Energy; Institute of Physics, Mathematics and Mechanics was renamed to Institute of Physics and Astronomy, and Institute of Building and Architecture was renamed to Institute of Building and Building Materials.
    Institute of Biology having belonged to Division of Biology, Agricultural and Medical Sciences was renamed to Institute of Zoology and Botany, and Institute of Agriculture to Plant Breeding Institute.
    Museum of the Estonian People having belonged to composition of Division of Social Sciences was renamed to Ethnographical Museum, State Literary Museum was renamed to Literary Museum and Academic Mother Tongue Society was renamed to Mother Tongue Society.
19 November – by decision of Presidium, Nikolai Tomson was relieved from the office of Vice-President of the Academy.

1953
9 June – by decision of Presidium, Nikolai Buzulukov was relieved from the office of Academician-Secretary of the Academy.
5 August – General Assembly elected the full member of Academy Arnold Humal Vice-President of the Academy.
24 December – in order to celebrate Fr. R. Kreutzwald’s 150th anniversary, the Literary Museum was renamed to Fr. R. Kreutzwald Literary Museum.

1954
30 June – at the elections held by General Assembly Paul Ariste, Harald Haberman, Johannes Heil, Karl Orviku and August Vaga were elected full members of Academy, Nikolai Alumäe, Richard Mahl and Aarne Pung were elected corresponding members of Academy.
    General Assembly elected the new composition of Presidium of the Academy. Elected President of the Academy was Johann Eichfeld, who was also vested with duties of Academician-Secretary of Division of Biological, Agricultural and Medical Sciences. Elected Vice-Presidents were Gustav Naan (he also fulfilled the obligations of Academician-Secretary of Division of Social Sciences) and Arnold Humal, elected Academician-Secretary of the Academy was Johannes Heil.

1955
18 May – by decision of Presidium, Estonian Geographical Society was founded.
23 November – Nature Protection Commission of the Academy of Sciences was formed at Presidium. In 1965 the Commission was attached to Division of Chemical, Geological and Biological Sciences.

1956
1 March – by order of Council of Ministers, instead of the name “full member of the Academy of Sciences”, there was introduced the name “Member of Academy”.
19 April – by Regulation of Council of Ministers, the Institute of Agricultures together with branches and experimental stations (Institute of Cattle Breeding and Veterinary, Land Reclamation and Bog Culture Institute and Plant Breeding Institute, except Tallinn Experimental Base of that Institute and the decorative horticulture team) were transferred from subordination of the Academy to the subordination of Ministry of Agriculture.
    Division of Biology, Agricultural and Medical Sciences was renamed Division of Biological and Medical Sciences.
7 July – by decision of Presidium, an independent institution named Tallinn Biological Experimental Base was formed from Tallinn Experimental Base and decorative horticulture team of the former Plant Breeding Institute.
3 August – Presidium adopted the decision to appeal to Council of Ministers with the request to return to Hans Kruus the name and rights of full member of Academy (Member of Academy) divested from him in 1951.
29 August – Council of Ministers annulled its ordinance of 27 April 1951 regarding dismissal of Hans Kruus from membership of the Academy, restoring thereby his rights as Member of Academy.
12 September – Presidium of the Academy took cognisance of reinstatement of Hans Kruus into his rights as Member of Academy by Council of Ministers.

1957
1 April – on the basis of Tallinn Biological Experimental Base there was formed Institute of Experimental Biology in the composition of Division of Biological and Medical Sciences.
24 April – Technical Experimental Base was formed in the composition of Division of Physical-Mathematical and Engineering Sciences, enjoying the rights of an independent sector.
26 September – General Assembly elected three new members to membership of the Academy. Elected Member of Academy was Harri Moora, elected Corresponding Members of Academy were Ilo Sibul and Arnold Veimer.
    Elected Academician-Secretary of Division of Social Sciences was Member of Academy Joosep Saat, Academician-Secretary of Division of Biological, Agricultural and Medical Sciences – Member of Academy Harald Haberman.
25 October – Council of Ministers adopted the decision to start publication under the joint aegis of Ministry of Culture, Academy of Sciences and Union of Writers the journal “Language and Literature”. The journal started appearing the following year.
26 November – Council of Ministers adopted the decision to start publication under the joint aegis of Academy of Sciences the journal “Estonian Nature”. The journal started appearing the following year.

1958
19 March – by decision of Presidium of the Academy, Computation Centre of the Academy of Sciences was set up, in the composition of Institute of Energy, enjoying the rights of an independent commission reporting to the Presidium.

1959
8 January – by ordinance of Council of Ministers, Tallinn Botanical Gardens was set up, attached to Institute of Experimental Biology.
28 May – General Assembly adopted the new Statute of the Academy. Council of Ministers approved the Statute on 22 March 1960.

1960
1 September – Institute of Cybernetics was established on the basis of Sector of Automatics and Telemechanics of the Institute of Energy, Sector of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics and Computational Centre operating in the composition of the same Institute.
20 October – by regulation of Council of Ministers, the number of Members of Academy was fixed 22 and the number of Corresponding Members of Academy 28.

1961
25 January – General Assembly elected to the composition of Academy 3 new Members of Academy and 13 new Corresponding Members. Elected Members of Academy were Nikolai Alumäe, Richard Antons and Harald Keres. Elected Corresponding Members of Academy were Agu Aarna, Gunnar Kangro, Paul Kard, Arnold Kask, Oskar Kirret, Eerik Kumari, Grigori Kuzmin, Heinrich Laul, Viktor Maamägi, Eduard Päll, Hugo Raudsepp, Karl Rebane and Artur Vassar.
1 December – Tallinn Botanical Gardens attached to the Institute of Experimental Biology was reorganised to an independent institution of scientific research, in the rights of an institute named Tallinn Botanical Gardens.

1962
27 September – General Assembly introduced changes in some clauses of Statute of the Academy, concerning the procedure of electing members of Presidium and formation of Divisions. Council of Ministers approved the changes on 13 November. With the changes introduced, correction of the name of Division of Physical-Mathematical and Engineering Sciences to Division of Physics, Mathematics and Engineering Sciences was approved.

1963
25 March – by order of Council of Ministers, a decision was adopted to set up in the system of Academy of Sciences a new independent self-financing institution Special Design Office reporting directly to Presidium of the Academy. Presidium of the Academy passed decision to set up Special Design Office on 19 December.
30 March – Institute of Experimental and Clinical Medicine was transferred to subordination of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR.
25 May – Institute of Building and Building Materials was transferred to subordination of the State Building Committee and the State Committee of Industry of Building Materials of the USSR.
11 June – Ethnographical Museum was transferred to subordination of Ministry of Culture.
11 July – Presidium of the Academy adopted the decision to found the journal “Sovetskoje Finnougrovedenije” (Soviet Finno-Ugric Studies). Presidium approved the editorial board of the journal on 7 July 1964, the journal started appearing in 1965. As from 1990, the name of the journal has been “Linguistica Uralica”.
31 July – Museum of History was transferred to subordination of Ministry of Culture.
2 October – Institute of Energy was renamed Institute of Thermophysics and Electrophysics.

1964
3 January – General Assembly introduced changes in some clauses of the Academy’s Statute, Council of Ministers approved the changes on 29 February.
    By amendments in the Academy’s Statute, changes in the names were made. Division of Physics, Mathematics and Engineering Sciences was renamed Division of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. Division of Biological and Medical Sciences was renamed Division of Chemical and Biological Sciences. The office of Academician-Secretary of the Academy was renamed the office of Scientific Secretary General of Presidium of the Academy.
    By decision of General Assembly, Institute of Chemistry, Institute of Geology and Technical Experimental Base were transferred from the composition of Division of Physical and Mathematical Sciences to the composition of Division of Chemical and Biological Sciences.
6 March – General Assembly elected the new composition of Presidium of the Academy. Elected President was Member of Academy Johan Eichfeld, Vice-Presidents – Members of Academy Nikolai Alumäe and Johann Vaabel, Scientific Secretary General of the Presidium – Member of Academy Johannes Heil, members of Presidium – Member of Academy Aksel Kipper and Corresponding Members Viktor Maamägi, Aarne Pung and Arnold Veimer. Approved as Academician-Secretaries of the Divisions were Corresponding Members Karl Rebane (Division of Physical and Mathematical Sciences) and Oskar Kirret (Division of Chemical and Biological Sciences) and Member of Academy Joosep Saat (Division of Social Sciences).
1 September – Scientific Central Archives of the Academy of Sciences was set up attached to the Academy, as an independent structural unit.
30 September – at elections held by General Assembly, Viktor Maamägi was elected Member of Academy, and Cheslav Lushchik was elected Corresponding Member of Academy.

1965
2 June – Central Library of the Academy of Sciences was renamed Scientific Library of the Academy of Sciences.

1967
24 March – at elections held by General Assembly Karl Rebane and Arnold Veimer were elected Members of Academy and Ilmar Öpik was elected Corresponding Member of Academy.

1968
28 March – General Assembly elected the new composition of Presidium of the Academy. Elected President of the Academy was Member of Academy Arnold Veimer, Vice-Presidents – Members of Academy Nikolai Alumäe and Karl Rebane, Scientific Secretary General of the Presidium  – Member of Academy Viktor Maamägi, members of the Presidium – Members of Academy Aksel Kipper and Gustav Naan. Approved as Academician-Secretaries of the Divisions were Corresponding Members Ilmar Öpik (Division of Physical and Mathematical Sciences), Oskar Kirret (Division of Chemical and Biological Sciences) and Eduard Päll (Division of Social Sciences).
17 October – General Assembly adopted the new Statute of the Academy, Council of Ministers approved the Statute on 24 January 1969. By new Statute, changes were made in the names of Divisions. Division of Physical and Mathematical Sciences was renamed Division of Physics-Mathematics and Engineering Sciences, Division of Chemical and Biological Sciences was renamed Division of Chemical, Geological and Biological Sciences.

1969
21 May – at elections held at General Assembly, Aarne Pung and Aleksander Voldek were elected Members of Academy and Juhan Kahk and Kalju Paaver were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.
17 September – Technical Experimental Base was transferred to subordination of Institute of Chemistry.

1972
30 March – at elections held by General Assembly Ilmar Öpik was elected Member of Academy and Olaf Eisen, Arno Köörna, Endel Lippmaa, Erast Parmasto and Boris Tamm were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.

1973
1 October – Institute of Physics and Astronomy was reorganised to two Institutes: Institute of Astrophysics and Atmospheric Physics and Institute of Physics.
25 October – General Assembly elected the new composition of the Presidium. Elected President of the Academy was Member of Academy Karl Rebane, Vice-Presidents – Members of Academy Nikolai Alumäe and Viktor Maamägi, Scientific Secretary General of the Presidium  – Corresponding Member Arno Köörna, members of the Presidium – Members of Academy Gustav Naan and Arnold Veimer and Corresponding Member Boris Tamm. Approved as Academician-Secretaries of the Divisions were Member of Academy Ilmar Öpik (Division of Physics-Mathematics and Engineering Sciences) and Corresponding Members Erast Parmasto (Division of Chemical, Geological and Biological Sciences) and Juhan Kahk (Division of Social Sciences).

1975
27 March – At elections held by General Assembly Arno Köörna, Endel Lippmaa and Boris Tamm were elected Members of Academy, and Mihhail Bronshtein, Jaan Rebane, Hans-Voldemar Trass and Mihkel Veiderma were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.

1976
1 February – Special Design Office of Institute of Cybernetics was established.
27 April – in connection with formal remembrance of the 100th anniversary of the death of Karl Ernst von Baer Presidium of the Academy introduced research prize named after Karl Ernst von Baer, to be granted once in four years, and Karl Ernst von Baer memorial medal (altogether 150 medals) to be awarded in the period from 1976–1992.
27 August – the first laureates of Karl Ernst von Baer Prize were nominated. Prize was awarded to Juhan Aul and Kalju Paaver.
30 September – Karl Ernst von Baer’s Memorial Museum was founded at Institute of Zoology and Botany.

1977
30 March – General Assembly made changes in the Statute of the Academy, Council of Ministers approved the changes on 19 September.
    At elections held by General Assembly Hillar Aben, Vladimir Hizhnyakov, Juhan Peegel, Anto Raukas, Karl Siilivask, Helle Simm and Vello Tarmisto were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.
30 November – General Assembly elected the new composition of Presidium of the Academy. Elected President of the Academy was Member of Academy Karl Rebane, Vice-Presidents – Members of Academy Viktor Maamägi and Ilmar Öpik, Scientific Secretary General of the Presidum  – Member of Academy Arno Köörna, members of the Presidium – Members of Academy Nikolai Alumäe, Gustav Naan and Boris Tamm and Corresponding Member Anto Raukas. Approved Academician-Secretaries of the Divisions were Member of Academy Endel Lippmaa (Division of Physics-Mathematics and Engineering Sciences) and Corresponding Members Erast Parmasto (Division of Chemical, Geological and Biological Sciences) and Juhan Kahk (Division of Social Sciences).

1978
29 March – At elections held by General Assembly Leo Jürgenson, Juhan Kahk and Kalju Paaver were elected Members of Academy, Viktor Palm was elected Corresponding Member of Academy.
5 December – Council of Ministers granted permission to form at Institute of Chemistry, on the basis of Technical Experimental Base and self-financing Experimental Division a new self-financing institution Experimental Plant of Organic Synthesis and Bio-preparations.

1979
1 February – Experimental Plant of Institute of Chemistry was founded.
11 November – by order of Council of Ministers, the new research institution Institute of Chemical and Biological Physics was formed in the composition of the Academy, on the basis of Sectors of Physics and Biochemistry of Institute of Cybernetics and Molecular Biology Group of Institute of Physics.
6 December – General Assembly made changes in the Statute of the Academy, determining five years as the period in office of members of Presidium of the Academy and members of Offices of Divisions and Heads of Academy’s research institutes. Council of Ministers approved the changes on 26 February 1980.

1980
28 January – Estonian Branch of Central Institute of Economical Mathematics of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR was incorporated to Institute of Economics.

1981
3 April – At elections held by General Assembly Jaan Einasto, Raimund Hagelberg, Huno Rätsep and Enn Tõugu were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.

1982
23 March – General Assembly introduced Memorial Medal of the Academy and approved its statute.
26 October – in connection with pending centenary of Member of Academy Paul Kogerman (5 December 1991), Presidium of the Academy introduced, by its decision the memorial medal of Member of Academy Paul Kogerman, to be awarded (altogether 30 medals) in the years 1983–1991.
1 December – General Assembly elected the new composition of Presidium of the Academy. Elected President of the Academy was Member of Academy Karl Rebane, Vice-Presidents – Members of Academy Arno Köörna and Ilmar Öpik, Scientific Secretary General of the Presidum  – Corresponding Member Raimund Hagelberg, members of the Presidium – Members of Academy Nikolai Alumäe, Viktor Maamägi, Gustav Naan, Kalju Paaver and Boris Tamm and Corresponding Members Olaf Eisen and Erast Parmasto. Approved as Academician-Secretaries of the Divisions were Member of Academy Juhan Kahk (Division of Social Sciences) and Corresponding Member Anto Raukas (Division of Chemical, Geological and Biological Sciences).

1983
31 May – by ordinance of Council of Ministers, the overall number of Members of Academy was fixed at 53, of whom 22 Members of Academy and 31 Corresponding Members.
14 June – at elections held by General Assembly, Olaf Eisen and Mihkel Veiderma were elected Members of Academy.
14 December – at elections held by General Assembly Arvo Ots, Dimitri Kaljo, Ülo Lille and Aleksander Panksejev were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.

1984
March – Under the joint aegis of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union, there was launched the scientific journal “Oil Shale” (“Горючие сланцы”), published by Institute of Chemistry. In 1992, the titled co-publisher of the journal was Russian Academy of Sciences. In 1993 “Oil Shale” started to appear as an exclusive edition of Estonian Academy of Sciences.
26 June – the new research vessel “Arnold Veimer” of the Academy posted to the balance sheet of Institute of Thermophysics and Electrophysics sailed on its virgin sea voyage.
13 December – Division of Physics-Mathematics and Engineering Sciences was reorganised to two divisions: Division of Physics and Astronomy and Division of Informatics and Technical Physics.
General Assembly adopted the new Statute of the Academy. Council of Ministers approved the Statute on 17 May 1985.

1985
5 June – General Assembly approved as Academician-Secretary of Division of Physics and Astronomy Corresponding Member of Academy Jaan Einasto and as Academician-Secretary of Division of Informatics and Technical Physics Corresponding Member of Academy Enn Tõugu.

1986

1 January – a new research institution was established in the composition of the Academy – the Republican Gene Engineering and Cell Technology Biocentre.
24 June – At elections held by General Assembly Mihhail Bronshtein, Jaan Einasto and Erast Parmasto were elected Members of Academy, and Ülo Jaaksoo, Arnold Koop, Valdek Kulbach, Peeter Saari and Gennadi Vainikko were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.

1987
25 March – General Assembly adopted the decision to submit an address to the Central Committee of the Estonian Communist Party and Council of Ministers of the ESSR, drawing their attention to the need to avoid narrow departmental approach to exploitation of new phosphorite deposits (Kabala and Toolse).
27 June – General Assembly adopted the decision to submit to authorities of the German Federal Republic an address requesting the return to Tallinn State Central Archives of the archival stocks taken to Germany during the war.
25 November – At elections held by General Assembly Hillar Aben, Raimund Hagelberg, Vladimir Hizhnyakov, Viktor Palm, Anto Raukas, Jaan Rebane and Enn Tõugu were elected Members of Academy. Lembit Krumm, Georg Liidja, Artur Lind, Udo Margna, Andrus Pork and Richard Villems were elected Corresponding Members of Academy.
10 December – General Assembly elected the new composition of Presidium of the Academy. Elected President of the Academy was Member of Academy Karl Rebane, Vice-Presidents – Members of Academy Arno Köörna and Mihkel Veiderma, Scientific Secretary General of the Presidum  – Member of Academy Raimund Hagelberg, members of the Presidium – Members of Academy Endel Lippmaa and Boris Tamm and Corresponding Members Udo Margna, Andrus Pork and Richard Villems. Approved as Academician-Secretaries of the Divisions were Members of Academy Jaan Einasto (Division of Physics and Astronomy), Juhan Kahk (Division of Social Sciences), Anto Raukas (Division of Chemical, Geological and Biological Sciences) and Enn Tõugu (Division of Informatics and Technical Physics).

1988
30 March – General Assembly adopted the decision to view the project of reconstruction of the Baltic Condensation Power Plant as technically and ecologically unacceptable, considering it necessary to provide for solutions meeting the today’s requirements and drastically reducing environmental pollution.
29 June – General Assembly decided to refer to the Council of Ministers with the proposition to annul the requirement, under which amendments in the Academy’s Statute were to be approved by Council of Ministers.
    General Assembly adopted the decision to consider the Estonian Academy of Sciences established in 1938 direct predecessor of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR and the initial year of activity of the Academy the year of 1938.
    General Assembly decided to refer to the Committee of People’s Control of the Estonian SSR with the request to check up on motivation of building the Tallinn New Harbour and to find out, whether all legal, ecological, economical and other conditions were duly taken into consideration when adopting the respective decision.
25 July – by order of Council of Ministers, Institute of Philosophy, Sociology and Law was formed in the composition of the Academy.
2 November –General Assembly held a ceremonious meeting “50 years of founding of the Estonian Academy of Sciences”.
    At the second session held on the same day General Assembly adopted the decision to view as impermissible putting on agenda of Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union the draft laws “Regarding amendments and additions to Constitution (Basic Law) of the USSR” and “Regarding elections of people’s deputies of the USSR”. General Assembly supported the proposition to call an extraordinary session of Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union to deliberate the issues related to the said draft law.
At the same session, General Assembly adopted the decision to view as necessary adopting the Language Act of the Estonian SSR.
14 November – by ordinance of the Council of Ministers, the powers of the Academy were extended for adopting the Statute, while annulling the ordinance of Council of Ministers of 17 May 1985 regarding approval of the Statute of the Academy.

1989
6 April – General Assembly adopted the new Statute of the Academy and the pertinent base documents. Due to extension of powers of the Academy, the new Statute did not need approval by Council of Ministers. It took effect within a week as from adoption by General Assembly.
    The new Statute determined the Academy as Estonian Academy of Sciences, instead of the former Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR, with reference to 1938 as the year of foundation. It introduced changes in names of all Divisions and gave a new definition to membership of the Academy. Division of Physics and Astronomy was renamed Division of Astronomy and Physics, Division of Informatics and Technical Physics – Division of Informatics and Engineering; Division of Chemical, Geological and Biological Sciences – Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry; Division of Social Sciences – Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences. As regards the membership of the Academy, it was specified that it included Members of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and Foreign Members. Splitting membership into Members of Academy and Corresponding Members was liquidated.
    Member of Academy Erast Parmasto submitted to General Assembly a joint appeal carrying the signatures of 28 Members of Academy. In that appeal, the signatories made known their position that it was necessary to hold in the Academy in that year, under the new Statute, the elections of Presidium, offices of the Divisions and also Directors elected before 1988. It was also made known in the appeal that for the purpose of holding elections those signatories, who held the said offices, would resign.
16 June – Council of Ministers issued an ordinance, in which it consented to changes in name of the Academy, enforced by adoption of the new Statute – renaming of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR to the Estonian Academy of Sciences. The same ordinance annulled the ordinance of Council of Ministers of 31 May 1983 about the total number of Members of Academy, whereby the right to determine the number of Members of Academy was given to the Academy.
29 June – General Assembly adopted the declaration in issues of the situation of Estonian natural environment and natural resources.
    General Assembly, proceeding from the appeal of 28 Members of Academy submitted at the previous session adopted the decision to organise in 1989, for enforcement of the new Statute, extraordinary elections of Presidium of the Academy, offices of the Divisions and Directors of scientific institutions elected under the old Statute.
    General Assembly decided to institute, as from 1 September 1989 for all Members of the Estonian Academy of Sciences a unified academic title “Member of Academy”, complementing with respective addition also the clause defining membership of the Academy (p. 21) in Statute of the Academy.
General Assembly, basing on ordinance of the Council of Ministers of 16 June 1989 amended the definition of the Statute regarding the number of Members of Academy, specifying that the said number would be determined by Academy’s General Assembly (up to that time, Council of Ministers had determined the number of Members of Academy). General Assembly also specified that Members of Academy may number up to 45 Members under age of 70.
4 November – General Assembly adopted the decision about science policy in Estonia, approving the tenets of the material prepared by a respective commission of the Academy “Science in the Conditions of Self-Sustained Estonia”.
General Assembly adopted the decision to set up a Court of Honour in the Academy and to work out is statute.
    General Assembly, in order to realise the decision adopted at the previous session about extraordinary re-elections of Presidium of the Academy, offices of the Divisions and also Directors of scientific institutions elected before 1988, adopted the decision to consider the powers of all named assemblies and heads as expired starting from 15 January 1990.
21 November – by order of Council of Ministers, Institute of Ecology and Marine Research was formed on the basis of the Baltic Sea Department of the Institute of Thermophysics and Electrophysics.

1990
4 January – at extraordinary elections held at General Assembly, Member of Academy Arno Köörna was elected new President of the Academy.
11 January – at extraordinary elections held at General Assembly, the new composition of the Presidium of the Academy was elected. Elected Vice-Presidents of the Academy  wrere Members of Academy Ülo Jaaksoo, Gennadi Vainikko and Mihkel Veiderma, elected Scientific Secretary General was Member of Academy Udo Margna and elected members of the Presidium were Members of Academy Endel Lippmaa, Huno Rätsep, Peeter Saari, Boris Tamm and Richard Villems. Members of Academy Jaan Einasto (Division of Astronomy and Physics), Dimitri Kaljo (Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry) and Andrus Pork (Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences) were approved Academician-Secretaries of the Divisions. General Assembly prolonged powers of Member of Academy Enn Tõugu as Academician-Secretary of Division of Informatics and Engineering until election of the new Academician-Secretary.
4 April – General Assembly elected the composition of Court of Honour of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
    At the elections held at General Assembly, Olav Aarna, Jüri Engelbrecht, Juri Lotman, Jüri Martin, Loit Reintam, Mart Saarma and Arved-Ervin Sapar were elected Members of Academy.
General Assembly adopted the decision to forward to members of the Presidential Council of the USSR the joint appeal of General Assembly of the Academy and Board of Union of Estonian Scientists, pointing out the need to stop tendentious treatment of the fight for freedom of the Baltic States and the right of self-determination in official policy and mass media of the USSR.
22 May – Extended meeting of General Assembly and representatives of the universities and Union of Estonian Scientists, with attendance by members of commission working out the legal acts concerning science organisation of Estonian, with the aim to work out the draft base documents related to main directions of development of science policy of Estonia made note of the fact that the organisation of Estonian science and higher education had stepped into period of transition, calling for adoption of many new legislative documents. The extended General Assembly approved the Estonian Science Organisation Act, Statute of Estonian Science Foundation, Statute of Council of Estonian Science Foundation, Statute of Estonian Science and Engineering Council and drafts of Statute of Estonian Scientific Degrees.

1991
9 January – General Assembly considered it necessary to change the status of Fr. R. Kreutzwald Literary Museum, in view of the extent and character of the research work carried out there, equal to other research institutes and decided to refer to the Council of Ministers with the request to consider Literary Museum of the Estonian Academy of Sciences a scientific institution, vested with all pertinent rights and obligations.
    General Assembly carried out, for the first time the election of Foreign Members. Elected the first Foreign Members of the Academy were geologist Valdar Jaanusson (Sweden), biochemist Charles Gabriel Kurland (USA/Rootsi), folklorist Matti Kuusi (Soome), physiologist Johannes Piiper (Germany), historian Päiviö Tommila (Finland) and chemist Ivar Ugi (Germany).
    General Assembly approved Member of Academy Boris Tamm Academician-Secretary of Division of Informatics and Engineering and elected Member of Academy Enn Tõugu Member of Presidium (to the office vacated by him).
19 February – Presidium decided to set up the international joint laboratory at Tallinn Botanical Gardens as an independent legal entity named International Plant and Pollution Research Laboratory (founders Tallinn Botanical Gardens and Bowling Green State University, the United States of America).
2 April – Presidium approved the statute of the Academy flag, the statute of the Academy emblem and the procedure of their use.
7 April – the Academy Hall (Kohtu 6) witnessed the festive inauguration ceremony of Estonian Academy of Sciences flag.
20 November – General Assembly adopted the decision on the issue of reorganisation of Estonian science organisation. The decision emphasised that when reorganising the activity of institutes of the Academy, the meaningful criteria should be based upon, holding in view the needs of Estonian economy and culture, results of international evaluation of scientific level of researches, the depth of changes taking place in universities and the scope of state and other financing.
    General Assembly approved the Statute of the Academy and the corrected text of pertinent base documents, which had been edited in view of changes in the name of the state of Estonia and which had been subjected to contextual corrections in view of termination of all-Union subordination relations of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
    General Assembly renamed Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences to Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences (translator’s note: ‘ühiskonnateadused’ versus ‘sotsiaalteadused’ are different terms in Estonian, however they are both translated Social Sciences).

1992
7 April – Academy made the co-operation agreement with Tallinn University of Technology.
8 April – Chairman of Government of the Republic Tiit Vähi spoke to General Assembly. General Assembly adopted the appeal to Supreme Council of the Republic of Estonia and Government of the Republic of Estonia. In its appeal, the Academy expressed deep concern about the situation, where the scientific institutions and universities had landed due to economic slump and spiralling prices, and presented a request to find additional funds to support research and to halt the degradation processes incipient in Estonian science.
5 May – Academy made a co-operation agreement with University of Tartu.
16 June – Presidium approved agreement between Estonian Academy of Sciences and Ministry of the Environment about forming a joint institute engaged in marine and fishery research (Marine Research Institute), transferring to the joint institute in process of formation the departments engaged in marine research in Institute of Ecology and Marine Research. It was also decided to reorganise Institute of Ecology and Marine Research to Institute of Ecology.
3 July – Estonian Academy of Sciences and Ministry of the Environment made the foundation agreement of the joint research institution – Estonian Marine Research Institute. Under the agreement the Academy transferred to the composition of the joint institute the departments engaged in marine research of Institute of Ecology and Marine Research and Ministry of the Environment transferred there the Estonian Fishery Institute.
7 September – Academy made the co-operation agreement with Tallinn Pedagogical University.
17 November – General Assembly made changes in the Statute of the Academy regarding the clauses concerning Members of Academy, their election and listed composition of the Members. Changes abolished pegging of the number of seats of Member of Academy to age limit of Members of Academy and specified the procedure of election of Members of Academy.
    General Assembly decided to increase the number of Members of Academy and determined that the size of membership of the Estonian Academy of Sciences shall be 60 Members of Academy.
General Assembly approved reorganisation of Institute of Ecology and Marine Research to Institute of Ecology and establishment of the joint research institution of Estonian Academy of Sciences and Estonian Ministry of the Environment– Estonian Marine Research Institute.

1993
31 March – at elections held by General Assembly, elected Members of Academy from among 40 candidates were: in exact sciences Ülo Lumiste, in engineering Ülo Lepik, Leo Mõtus and Raimund-Johannes Ubar, in medicine – Pavel Bogovski, Ain-Elmar Kaasik and Valdur Saks, and in natural sciences – Ilmar Koppel, Viktor Masing and Juhan Ross.
    General Assembly approved Institute of Energy for the new name of Institute of Thermophysics and Electrophysics.
7 April – General Assembly adopted the decision regarding the Academy Act, deeming it necessary to enforce the Estonian Academy of Sciences Act issued by State Protector’s decree of 28 January 1938, and simultaneously enforce the said Act in updated formulation. General Assembly decided to present to Riigikogu (Parliament) the draft law of re-enforcement of Estonian Academy of Sciences Act.
    General Assembly adopted the decision to introduce in Academy the status of Member of Academy-Emeritus, in accordance with the Estonian Academy of Sciences Act of 1938 and approved the statute of Member of Academy-Emeritus.
    General Assembly decided to reorganise Institute of Language and Literature to Institute of the Estonian Language, withdrawing from its composition the Department of Literature, and Under and Tuglas Literature Centre. On the basis of those units, a new independent scientific institution named Under and Tuglas Literature Centre was formed, in the composition of Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
15 June – Presidium adopted the decision to set up in the composition of Estonian Academy of Sciences a new independent institution – Estonian Academy Publishers. Presidium approved Statute of the Publishers on 12 October 1993. The Publishers started work as from 1 January 1994.
12 October – Government of the Republic issued an ordinance for introduction of the name of Member of Academy-Emeritus and Professor-Emeritus and approved the statute of Member of Academy-Emeritus and Professor-Emeritus.

1994
18 January – Presidium reorganised International Plant and Pollution Research Laboratory of Tallinn Botanical Gardens to a scientific institution in the composition of Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry named International Environmental Biology Centre.
17 February – Academy and Tallinn City Government made an agreement for transfer of Tallinn Botanical Gardens to the city of Tallinn and for its reorganisation from Tallinn Botanical Gardens of the Estonian Academy of Sciences to a municipal institution Tallinna Botanical Gardens.
6 April – General Assembly approved the statute of Member of Academy-Emeritus in new formulation, bringing it into compliance with the ordinance of the Government of the Republic “regarding introduction of the name of Member of Academy-Emeritus and Professor-Emeritus” of 12 October 1993.
5 May – General Assembly held a special session, called for discussion of further perspectives of Estonian science and Estonian Academy of Sciences in connection with draft Research and Development Act prepared by Government of the Republic. General Assembly decided to protest vigorously against the said draft, to view it as unacceptable and to demand new consideration of the draft with Academy and other competent science organisations in attendance. General Assembly also approved the proposition of the Academy to be submitted to Government of the Republic for formulation in Research and Development Act of the part concerning the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
    General Assembly approved Institute for International and Social Studies as the new name for Institute of Philosophy, Sociology and Law.
23 November – At elections held by General Assembly, elected Member of Academy (from among 22 candidates) in exact sciences was Jaak Aaviksoo, in engineering Harri Käär, in natural sciences Agu Laisk, in agriculture Hans Küüts and Humanities and social sciences Uno Mereste, Peeter Tulviste and Haldur Õim.
7 December – General Assembly was addressed at its session by Prime Minister of Government of the Republic Andres Tarand. General Assembly elected Member of Academy Jüri Engelbrecht President of the Academy.
14 December – General Assembly made changes in isolated clauses of base documents belonging to Statute of the Academy (Statute of Presidium, bases of activity of the Division), specifying the option to combine offices of Vice-President and Academician-Secretary and abolishing age restrictions when electing members of Presidium and members of office of the Division.
    General Assembly elected the new composition of Presidium of the Academy. Elected Vice-Presidents of the Academy were Members of Academy Boris Tamm (also Academician-Secretary of Division of Informatics and Engineering), Peeter Tulviste (also Academician-Secretary of the Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences), Mihkel Veiderma and Richard Villems (also Academician-Secretary of the Division of Astronomy and Physics), elected Scientific Secretary General was Member of Academy Udo Margna and elected non-executive members of Presidium were Members of Academy Raimund Hagelberg, Ülo Jaaksoo, Endel Lippmaa, Leo Mõtus and Haldur Õim. Approved as Academician-Secretary of the Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry was Member of Academy Dimitri Kaljo.
    Government of the Republic changed partially its ordinance of the previous year about introduction of names of Member of Academy-Emeritus and Professor-Emeritus, granting to the Academy the right to give the title Professor-Emeritus to Doctors of Science holding Professorship.

1995
19 April – General Assembly granted its consent to terminate the activity of the Tallinn Botanical Gardens as scientific institution of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and to reorganise the Botanical Gardens to a municipal scientific institution of the City of Tallinn. General Assembly approved Estonian Literary Museum as the new named for Fr. R. Kreutzwald Literary Museum.
15 June – General Assembly adopted the new Statute of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and the statute of Member of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
General Assembly approved Tartu Observatory as the new name of Institute if Astrophysics and Atmospheric Physics.
    General Assembly determined the maximum number of Foreign Members of Estonian Academy of Sciences as one third of the number of Members of Academy fixed by law.
September – In co-operation with Tallinn University of Technology, the first issue of the new series “Engineering” of the journal “Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences” was published.
21 November – Government of the Republic assigned the task to Ministry of Culture and Education, by its protocol decision, to prepare and submit to the Government for consideration the draft Academy of Sciences Act.
24 November – Government of the Republic approved the Statute of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and the statute of Member of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and determined that the number of Members of the Estonian Academy of Sciences should be 60.
5 December – Board of the Academy adopted the decision to establish the series ‘The Humanities and social sciences’ of the journal “Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences”, and on the basis of serial publication of University of Tartu “Acta et commentationes Universitatis Tartuensis (Dorpatensis) – Humaniora” a new joint journal of the Humanities and social sciences of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and University of Tartu titled “Trames”. The journal started to appear as issued by the Estonian Academy Publishers in 1997.
14 December – General Assembly approved the regulation of electing Foreign Members of the Academy and elected 5 new Foreign Members. Elected Foreign Members of the Estonian Academy of Sciences were Carl-Olof Jacobson (Sweden; specialty – zoological morphology), Jaan Laane (USA; chemical physics), Endrik Nõges (USA; automatic control), Michael Godfrey Rodd (Great Britain; process management and information technology) and Henn-Jüri Uibopuu (Austria; law).
    With the aim to bringing clerical work and names to conformity with the new Statute, General Assembly approved ‘Board of the Estonian Academy of Sciences’ as the new name for Presidium of the Estonian Academy of Sciences, ‘Office of the Estonian Academy of Sciences’ as the new name for Central Authority of the Presidium of the Estonian Academy of Sciences, ‘Secretary General’ as the new name for the office of the Scientific Secretary General and ‘Head of Division’ as the new name for the office of the Academician-Secretary of the Division.
    General Assembly decided to terminate the activity of the Court of Honour of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.

1996
2 January – Government of the Republic, basing on Science Organisation Act, determined the affiliation of scientific institutions in the administrative domain of ministries. By the Ordinance, all former scientific institutions were withdrawn from subordination and composition of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
23 January – Board of the Academy adopted the decision to start holding regular public scientific lectures.
12 March – There was the opening event of the new series of lectures “Public Academic Lectures of the Estonian Academy of Sciences”. The first lecture of the series was delivered by President of the Academy Jüri Engelbrecht.
11-15 August – Tallinn hosted the Congress of Estonian Scientists held under preparation and technical organisation of Estonian Academy of Sciences, attended by 520 scientists from 13 countries.
18 December – at session of the General Assembly, there was held the ceremony of inauguration of the Chain of Office of President of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. The Chain of Office was laid on shoulders of President of the Academy Jüri Engelbrecht by President of the Republic Lennart Meri, who had earlier delivered a short address to the General Assembly.
    General Assembly discussed, basing on reports of Members of Academy Jaan Aaviksoo and Boris Tamm, the trends of Estonian science and technological development and formulated on its basis the main objectives of science and technological development in Estonia.
General Assembly approved the regulation of election of Members of Academy.

1997
16 April – Riigikogu (Parliament) adopted the Estonian Academy of Sciences Act, President of the Republic promulgated the Act on 29 April.
29 October – General Assembly decided to refer to the Ministry of Education with the proposition to unite Under and Tuglas Literature Centre with the Academy, terminating its activity as the state research institution.
From among 19 candidates the General Assembly  at its session elected  Members of Academy: in exact sciences Ene Ergma, in engineering Rein Küttner, in natural sciences Jaak Järv and in the humanities Arvo Krikmann.
18 December – General Assembly adopted the new Statutes of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. General Assembly approved the statute of medal of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. General Assembly approved the statute of letter of commendation of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.

1998
23 January – Academy signed an association agreement with the Institute of Zoology and Botany of the Estonian Agricultural University and with the Estonian Naturalists’ Society.
27 January – Academy made the association agreement with Estonian Geographical Society and Society of Estonian Regional Studies.
February – the first issue of two new joint serial publications of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and Institute of History “Acta Historica Tallinnensia” and “Estonian Journal of Archaeology” came out of print.
4 February – Academy signed an association agreement with the Mother Tongue Society and the Estonian Union of the History and Philosophy of Science.
10 February – Ministry of Education registered the new Statutes of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
30 March – Under and Tuglas Literature Centre was assigned by affiliation agreement from subordination of the Ministry of Education to subordination of the Academy, reformed from the state scientific institution to research and development institution of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
8 May – Academy made the association agreement with Tartu Observatory.
16 June – Academy made the association agreement with Institute of Ecology of Tallinn Pedagogical University.
17 June – Academy made the association agreement with Estonian Academic Library (up to 19 March 1997 Academic Library).

1999
19 March – Academy made the association agreement Estonian Learned Society in Sweden.
28 April – General Assembly approved the statutes of all Divisions of the Academy, a regulation for  election of Members of Academy, regulation of election of Foreign Members of the Academy and regulation of election of members of Board of the Academy.
11 May – Academy signed an association agreement with the Institute of the Estonian Language and with the Estonian Literary Museum.
6 October – at its session, the General Assembly elected Jüri Engelbrecht President of the Academy for the following (second) 5-year period.
10 November – at its session, the General Assembly elected Ene Ergma and Peeter Tulviste Vice-Presidents of the Academy, Mihkel Veiderma Secretary General, Ülo Jaaksoo, Ain-Elmar Kaasik, Dimitri Kaljo and Richard Villems non-executive members of the Board.
December – Estonia was admitted member of European Science Foundation, being represented there by Estonian Academy of Sciences and Estonian Science Foundation.

2000
19 April – annual meeting of the General Assembly approved Statute of Estonian Academy Publishers, Statute of Under and Tuglas Literature Centre of the Estonian Academy of Sciences and guidelines of holding contest of research workers of scientific institutions of the Academy.

2001
23 January – Academy made the association agreements with Estonian Learned Society and Estonian Literary Society.
19 December – General Assembly elected to vacancies two new Members of Academy: in biomedicine – Mart Ustav; in the Humanities – Lennart Meri.

2002
27 August – Session of the Board elected Agu Laisk and Asko Uri research professors.
3 December – Session of the Board elected Raimund Ubar to vacancy of research professor.
18 December – General Assembly approved the Code of Ethics of Estonian scientists. It elected four new Foreign Members of the Academy: Richard R. Ernst of Switzerland (physical chemistry); Gerard A. Maugin of France (mechanics); Helmut Schwarz of Germany (chemistry); Endel Tulving of Canada (psychology).

2003
28 January – Academy made the association agreement with Institute for International and Social Studies at Tallinn Pedagogical University.
2 December – Session of the Board approved statute of Nikolai Alumäe medal in informatics and engineering, statute of Karl Schlossmann medal in medical sciences and related domains and statute of Paul Ariste medal in social sciences and the Humanities.
17 December – General Assembly elected to vacancies three new Members of Academy: in materials technology – Enn Mellikov; in medicine – Raivo Uibo; in the Humanities – Jaan Ross.

2004
21 June – Academy signed an association agreement with the Estonian Musicological Society.
10 November – General Assembly at its session elected the new Board of the Academy in the following composition: President – Richard Villems; Vice-President – Ain-Elmar Kaasik; Vice-President – Jüri Engelbrecht; Secretary General – Leo Mõtus; Head of Division of Astronomy and Physics – Peeter Saari; Head of Division of Informatics and Engineering – Rein Küttner; Head of Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry – Ilmar Koppel; Head of Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences – Peeter Tulviste; non-executive members – Ene Ergma, Endel Lippmaa, Enn Mellikov, Jaan Ross, Enn Tõugu, Mart Ustav, Mihkel Veiderma, Haldur Õim.

2005
12 April – Board at its session approved the statute of Wilhelm Ostwald medal.
14 June – Academy signed an association agreement with the Estonian Physical Society.
14 December – Board at its session elected Ilmar Koppel, Malle Krunks and Ülo Niinemets research professors for a three year term.

2006
14 March – Board at its session approved the statute of Karl Ernst von Baer medal.
26 April – General Assembly at Annual Meeting approved the Development Plan of the Academy 2006-2010.
1 May – Estonian Academy of Sciences Foundation was established within the Estonian National Culture Foundation.
21 December – Academy signed an association agreement with the Estonian National Museum.

2007
25 September
Committee on Marine Sciences at the Estonian Academy of Sciences was established under Decision of the Board
12 December
General Assembly at its session elected three new Members of Academy: in engineering and information technology Tarmo Soomere; in natural sciences and medicine Mati Karelson; in the humanities – Jaan Undusk.

2008
23 April
General Assembly at its session elected four new Foreign Members: Jaak Peetre from Sweden (mathematics), Grigori Mints from the US (computer science), Matti Saarnisto from Finland (geology) and Ilse Lehiste from the US (linguistics).
23 September
Academy signed an association agreement with Jõgeva Plant Breeding Institute and the Estonian Association of Engineers.
16 December Board at its session elected Pärt Peterson, Martti Raidal and Tiina Nõges research professors for a three year term.

2009
14 October General Assembly at its session elected two new Members of Academy: in exact sciences Arvi Freiberg and in economics Urmas Varblane.
13 November Academy signed an association agreement with the Estonian Biochemical Society.
25 November – General Assembly at its session elected the new Board of the Academy in the following composition: President – Richard Villems (re-elected for a second term at the General Assembly session on 14 October); Vice-President – Mart Ustav; Vice-President – Jüri Engelbrecht; Secretary General – Leo Mõtus; Head of Division of Astronomy and Physics – Jaak Aaviksoo; Head of Division of Informatics and Engineering – Tarmo Soomere; Head of Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry – Ilmar Koppel; Head of Division of Humanities and Social Sciences – Urmas Varblane; non-executive members – Ene Ergma, Ain-Elmar Kaasik, Mati Karelson, Endel Lippmaa, Enn Mellikov, Peeter Saari, Peeter Tulviste and Enn Tõugu.
9 December –  Riigikogu adopted the Estonian Academy of Sciences Act Amendment Act, President of the Republic promulgated the Act on 15 December.
15 December Academy signed an association agreement with the Estonian Semiotics Association.

2010
8 December – General Assembly elected 10 new Members of Academy from among 30 candidates: in astronomy Enn Saar, in mathematics – Eve Oja, in energy technology – Enn Lust, in computer science – Tarmo Uustalu, in ecology – Martin Zobel, in medical science – Eero Vasar, in biotechnology – Andres Metspalu, in psychology – Jüri Allik, in historical sciences – Valter Lang and in art history – Mart Kalm.
General Assembly approved new versions of  the Statutes of the Estonian Academy of Sciences, regulations for election of Members, regulations for election of Foreign Members and regulations for election of Board Members of the Academy. 

2011
5 April – Academy signed an association agreement with the Estonian Chemical Society and the Estonian Society of Human Genetics.
Ministry of Education and Research registered the Statutes of the Estonian Academy of Sciences.
16 June – Academy signed an association agreement with the EstonianSociety for Economics and the Estonian Society for the Study of Religions.
7 December - General Assembly elected 7 new Members of Academy: in exact sciences – Martti Raidal,
in materials engineering - Jakob Kübarsepp, in medical science – Toomas Asser, in biosystematics and ecology – Urmas Kõljalg, in chemistry – Margus Lopp, in linguistics – Karl Pajusalu and in music – Arvo Pärt.

2012
5 December – General Assembly elected four new Members of Academy from among 17 candidates: in exact sciences – Ergo Nõmmiste, in informatics  – Jaak Vilo, in history – Tõnu-Andrus Tannberg and in literature –  Hando Runnel.
General Assembly also elected four new Foreign Members: Alar Toomre (applied mathematics), Steven R. Bishop (nonlinear dynamics), Pekka T.Männistö (pharmacology), Juri Berezkin (ethnography).
17 December – Board confirmed Rein Ahas, Anu Realo and Tõnis Timmusk as Research Professors for the period  2013–2015 .

2013

24 April General Assembly established the Institute for Advanced Study under the Academy
4 December – General Assembly elected four new Members of Academy from among 16 candidates: in exact sciences –  Jaan Aarik, in engineering – Andres Öpik, in life sciences – Ülo Niinemets, in law – Lauri Mälksoo.

2014
15 October General Assembly elected Tarmo Soomere the President of the Estonian Academy of Sciences for the next five-year term.
3 December General Assembly elected the new Board of the Academy in the following composition: President – Tarmo Soomere (elected at the General Assembly meeting of 15 October); Vice-President – Ergo Nõmmiste; Vice-President – Mart Kalm; Secretary General – Margus Lopp; Head of Division of Astronomy and Physikcs – Jaak Aaviksoo; Head of Division of Informatics and Engineering – Jakob Kübarsepp; Head of Division of Biology, Geology and Chemistry – Toomas Asser; Head of Division of Humanities and Social Sciences – Urmas Varblane; non-executive members – Jüri Engelbrecht, Jaak Järv, Valter Lang, Ülo Niinemets, Karl Pajusalu, Martti Raidal, Peeter Saari and Andres Öpik.